Monday, September 10, 2007

You Gotta Be the Book-Ch. 1

Reading this chapter was a very reassuring task for me because i finally felt like i wasn't alone in a lot of my thoughts on reading. I struggle with a lot of the same questions that Wilhelm does and agree with a lot of what he says when he talks about the struggles there are to get students interested in reading and having them obtain the ability to gain an aesthetic stance. I had a "bottoms up" approach when i was in school and that is all i have really witnessed in a school setting. The only time i have seen other people, or for myself, use an aesthetic stance is when people are reading for personal enjoyment. I feel it is in these moments that the reader is searching for meaning and understanding within the text. In the school settings, I have never experienced readers reading for their own personal meaning and understanding. They are all just searching for the best answers to pass the class.
As a teacher to be, I would just like to know the answers to these questions that i have personally struggled with and also that Wilhelm suggests. Rosenblatt suggests that the students have to explore on their own and interpret there own reactions to the text to make the reading more personally fulfilling to them. However, when I think about my past experiences of working on my own through a book, I would just get frustrated when i didn't understand something. So, i believe there needs to be some happy medium that allows the students to become comfortable enough to want to read the text but also to use the reader response and take an aesthetic stance to reading

No comments: