Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Critical Encounters Ch. 7

In short....I want to be Martha. I think a lot of what she says is what i want to do, and how i feel about what i want my classroom to be like. I think her role as the "nudger" is the perfect way to describe it. Also, she says she wants her students to "see me as a collaborator and co-conspirator in their learning". These are my own feelings about my future classroom, in any subject area that i am teaching. I also think that she brings up a good concept of switching her physical place in the classroom from the center to moving around the room, and always changing. I agree with her when she says that it is better for the students, because i know i am a very hands on learner, and i frankly don't know anyone who learns well from being lectured at. However, something that i doesn't sit well with me is when Appleman says, "theory makes the invisible visible, the unsaid said". I feel like it is putting a whole lot on theory, when it might not necessarily be worth it...i dunno this is still something i am struggling with. i will have to get back on this when i have thought about it a little more and had more time to grapple with it. Overall, i liked reading this chapter and i think it can give a lot of insight to future teachers, and even current teachers.

1 comment:

Todd Bannon said...

Once we complete this text, I think we'll need some debriefing to discuss what we think of it as a whole and how we may or may not use theory in the classroom.