Monday, November 12, 2007

Reaction to You Gotta BE the book

I think that this book was my favorite one to read in this class. I think a huge part of that is becuase i prefer reader response theory. However, when i came into this class I had no idea there were so many other choices out there. I would have probably only taught my english class through New Critical, or perhaps reader response. i do think that reader response is important and a good way to get kids to really think about a book. It is a good introduction as well to the other theories and the idea of looking at a book through a lens. I also liked how this book got detailed in the case studies and looking at specific students, and how they read. It also wasn't the most advanced readers that were looked at. The stuggling students were also given attention, which i think can help teachers who might have a similar situation in their classes. It was also fun to read about the different types of activities that can be used to help specific struggles students might have, like acting things out or artwork. This was especially nice to read about becuase i was one of those students, and it is nice to hear that i wasn't alone, and it is actually a fairly common thing that students struggle with.

No comments: